Create a Database Activity for Sharing Images from Students that may or may not allow for comments by yourself and other students.
Create the Database Activity Container
- Navigate to the course you wish to add an activity to.
- Turn editing on
- Scroll down tot he section you want to add the database activity to.
- Click the Add a new Activity or Resource Link
- Select Database and click the Add button
- Populate the General section:
- Give the activity a Name and Description
- Set limits in the Entries section
- Approval required: If set to yes, entries require approving by a teacher before they are viewable by everyone.
- Allow comments on Entries: If you want students to be able to make commentary on given posts change this to yes
- Entries required for completion: If desired, set this to the number of entries a student is required to submit before the activity can be considered complete.
- Entries required before viewing: If desired, set this to the number of entries a student is required to submit before they can view entries from other students.
NOTE: If entries are required before viewing, the database auto-linking filter should be disabled. This is because the database auto-linking filter can’t determine whether a user has submitted the required number of entries.
Maximum number of entries: If desired, set this to the maximum number of entries a student is allowed to submit for this activity.
OPTIONAL: If you want this to be gradeable:
Expand the Grade section
If your gradebook uses categories, set the desired Grade Category.
Expand the Ratings section
Set the Aggregate Type
- Set the Maximum points to the total worth desired for the assignment
- Change any other settings as desired.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Click the Save and display button
- This page may show a big red error- Don’t Panic!
Click on the Fields tab if it isn’t already active.
- From the Create a new field drop-down select Picture
Set up the Picture Field
- Set up at least a Picture field type to collect those images
- Field Name – Image or Picture is probably plenty.
- Field Description – put your expectations here
- Required field – Check this if this is this a thing your students HAVE to fill out.
- Width in single view and Height in single view – At most- how many pixels wide should this display at when viewed alone – I suggest only filling out ONE of these and leaving the other blank to avoid image distortion.
- Width in list view and Height in list view – At most- how many pixels wide should this display at when viewed in a list with other submissions – I suggest only filling out ONE of these and leaving the other blank to avoid image distortion.
- Maximum size – Set a limit for how large of an image can be uploaded to prevent HUGE images that take forever to load from being submitted.
- Add any other Fields from the Fields tab that you might want to have students share.
- Students can submit away and see other’s submissions too.
- You and your students can add to it by clicking on the Add entry tab and filling in the requested fields.
- Submissions can be reviewed and graded from the View list tab.