From email sent out by ITS on March 1st, 2023, below are the changes implemented on March 6th, 2023.
The IT Service Desk would like to make you aware of a change to password security settings that will go into effect on 6 March 2023. This update only impacts people who change their password or create a new password.
What are the new password requirements?
- Passwords/passphrases must have a minimum length of 12 characters.
- Passwords/passphrases must contain both numbers and alphabetic characters. Complex password special characters allowed, but not required.
- Upper case character, example: A
- Lower case character, example: a
- Number, example: 1
- Special Character: examples: !@#$%^&*()
- Users are required to change passwords/passphrases at least every 90 days.
- Password/passphrase parameters must be set to require the new password/passphrase to be different from the previous 4 passwords/passphrases.
- First-time passwords/passphrases for new users and reset passwords/passphrases for existing users must be unique to each user and changed after the first use.
- Limit repeated access attempts by locking out the user ID after not more than 3 attempts.
- Once a user is locked out of their account, the account remains locked for a minimum of 30 minutes or until a system administrator resets the account.
- Automatic screen lock after 30 minutes of inactivity for Faculty or staff computers and 90 minutes for podium computers.
Who will be impacted?
- All CCC staff and faculty who use our systems and services.
Why is this work being done?
- As cyber threats continue to evolve and become more sophisticated, it is imperative that we take proactive measures to protect our data. Therefore, we have developed new password guidelines that align with industry best practices, standards and meet Cybersecurity Insurance requirements.
Student password requirements are different than faculty and staff password requirements. If you have a student that has questions about passwords please share this information with them: https://www.clackamas.edu/campus-life/student-services/cougarconnect/password-help