What Are Forum Subscriptions
Forum subscriptions allow you to, via email, stay up to date with the goings-on in a given forum.
When you are subscribed to a forum you will be sent an email for each post made to the forum you are subscribed to. This can be desirable for keeping tabs on a conversation or annoying in a particularly busy forum.
Your subscription to a forum can be decided by a number of factors in and out of your control:
- An instructor may choose to make a forum’s subscription mandatory, automatic, optional, or disabled.
- You may have personal settings that indicate that after making a post to a forum you want to be subscribed or not.
- You may decided after a while you want to change your subscription to a forum for lack or too much interest in a forum
This document will help you change your subscription to a forum if permitted and/or change your defaults for future use when interacting in forums.
Changing your Subscription Defaults
Weather or not you are subscribed to a forum by default on posting to a forum is set by one of two things:
- How the instructor set it up – you have no control over this as a student.
- Your personal defaults.
To change the latter of the two or even just to check and see what your current settings are you will need to navigate to your profile.
To do this, open up the User Menu from the top-right of any Moodle page and click the Preferences link
From the Preferences Page, Under User Account, Click the Forum preferences link
You will be redirected to a busy form, locate Forum auto-subscribe (highlighted below) and select your preference.
This will change how, when you post to any forum, if a subscription to said forum is automatically set up for you.
We suggest you change your settings to the following to reduce clutter in your inbox and increase readability of Forum posts in a class:
- Email Digest Type: Complete or Subject– this will cut down emails to just one a day.
- Forum auto-subscribe: No. This will make it so you HAVE to check the subscribe box when replying to a post where applicable.
- Forum Tracking: Yes. This will list the number of unread posts next to forums within Moodle so you have a quick idea of where the new forum content is.
Now all that is left to do is scroll to the bottom of this page and select the Save Changes button to save your changes.
Note: This will NOT change forums you have already posted to. If you have been subscribed to a forum already you must manually change your subscription settings for that forum as detailed in the next section
Changing your subscription to a Forum
Note: Depending on a forum’s setting as dictated by your instructor you may not be able to subscribe or even unsubscribe. If you want the ability to do this and cannot you will need to contact your instructor on the issue.
Check your subscription to a forum
Navigate to the forum in question and locate your Actions menu (gear icon).
Forum subscription settings, as set by your instructor will be indicated in the highlighted location as shown below.
(In this example it is Optional Subscription)
To better understand what each means, possible subscription options for a forum are detailed below:
- Optional subscription – Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription – Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription – Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled – Subscriptions are not allowed
Change your subscription to a forum
Depending on what subscription setting the forum you may not have the link pictured below – it will only appear if Optional subscription or Auto Subscription are enabled.
It may also read Subscribe to this forum or Unsubscribe from this forum.
Clicking the link pictured below will toggle your subscription to this forum on or off.
Subscribing to a single Forum Discussion
A new, less broad version of forum subscription has been added to forums.
You can now subscribe to a single discussion instead of, or in addition to, a full forum subscription (all discussions). This can be done either as you make a discussion topic or in response to an existing one.
This will minimize email clutter to more relevant forum posts at the discretion of the student or instructor making the subscription.
Subscribe to a Discussion as you Post it:
- Enter the forum in which you intend to post
- Click the Add New Discussion Topic (or other variation as appropriate)
- Fill out your Subject, Message and (perhaps) Attachment normally
- Ensure that the check-box next to Discussion Subscription is ticked
- Click the Post to Forum button
- Any replies to your post will be emailed to your Clackamas email
Subscribing to an Existing Discussion:
- Enter the forum in which you wish to monitor a discussion topic
- Click the discussion topic title link
- Locate your Actions menu (gear icon)
- Click the Subscribe to this discussion link
- Any further replies to this topic will be emailed to your Clackamas email