Before importing questions into Moodle we strongly suggest you create a Category in the question bank for each chapter or topic that you will want to import questions into for easy sorting and picking.
Enter the course in question.
Expand the Actions Menu (Gear icon) from the top-right corner of the page.
Select the More… option from the very bottom of the menu.
Under the Course Administration tab you’ll find the Question Bank section.
Select the Import option.
Depending on the file format presented you’ll need to select a File Format:
- IF YOU HAVE WORD OR PDF FILES you must first Convert your file into an Aiken plaintext file and select Aiken format.
- IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PROVIDED BY A TEXTBOOK PUBLISHER select the option that sounds closest to the provided formats. This is most frequently Blackboard or Examview.
If you aren’t sure ask your textbook publisher which is best for Moodle! (You can send them this article even so they can see what options are available in Moodle!)
Expand the General Section.
Select the Import Category you want to add questions to and select it from the drop-down menu.
Depending on your personal preferences:
- Click the Choose a file… button and locate the file you want to upload.
- Drag and drop your file into the big dashed box.
Once the file has uploaded click the Import button
It may take a short while for Moodle to process the file.
Preview your results- two green notices is good.
Click the Continue button so we can take a look at these questions.
IF YOU DID NOT GET THESE RESULTS: if you get a red alert or something that mentions an error, contact ISPD for help and send them your import file and we can help you troubleshoot the issue.
Anytime you create content you should preview and test it.
You can try each question you just imported in by:
- Clicking the magnifying glass icon to preview it in a new window.
- Try to find the correct answer and edit the question if you notice something amiss.