This is new for us as of Moodle 3.6 (2019/SU term) and is part of a greater article on Moodle Groups and may be particularly effective as a requirement before students can participate in a group activity.
NOTE: If you would like students to choose their own groups then this article is redundant and you should see our students choosing their own groups in Moodle article instead.
Ensure you’ve already…
- enabled groups,
- created those groups (and often groupings), and
- assigned students to each group manually in your course.
Use the Actions menu (gear icon) from the top-right corner of the page to Turn editing on.
Navigate to the Week or Topic in which you want to establish or communicate group assignments.
Click the Add an activity or resource link.
Select the Group choice Activity.
Double-click the item or click the Add button at the bottom of the window.
Under the General section, set the Group choice name and description.
Under the Miscellaneous ensure that the DEFAULT SETTINGS are left as-is (you’ve already done the picking)…
- Publish results is set to Always show results to students
- Privacy of results is set to Publish full results, showing names, and their choices
- Allow choice to be updated is set to No
Under the Groups section:
- Select a Grouping (will appear bold and expandable if you’re using them) and click the Add grouping button.
- Use the Shift key on your keyboard to select multiple groups and click the Add Groups button
Click the Save and display button at the bottom of the page to save your changes and you’re done!
Instructors may only be able to see the groups and display their descriptions by clicking the Show descriptions button.
You can also see your group assignments from the View _ responses link.
Students, if they are part of a group will…
- See their assignment in the top left corner with Your selection:
- Click the Hide Group Members button to toggle names and see where they and their peers are assigned.
If you have not already done so, don’t forget to apply these group(ing)s to the desired activities!