This article is one in a series of articles about Groups in Moodle.
Enter the course you want to create Groups in.
Expand the Nav Drawer from the top left corner of the page.
Click the Participants link.
Expand the Actions Menu (Gear Icon) in the top-right corner of the page.
Select the Groups menu option.
NOTE: If you don’t see a Groups option you may need to first enable groups your course.
In the Groups tab, click on the Create group button.
On the screen that comes up next:
- Type in the Group name.
- Group description is optional.
- Group Messaging will allow your students to use Moodle’s Messenger (user tour) to communicate with one another.
- You can add an image or icon for the group (optional).
- Click the Save changes button when ready.
You will be taken back to the Groups tab.
Repeat this step as necessary to create all the Groups you will need.
After you’ve created the Group containers, you may want to:
- Assign students to your groups.
- Let students to pick their groups.
- Create a Grouping if you want multiple groups in separate tasks on a single activity.
- Assign Group limitations to activities or resources.